Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!!!

Here we are in 2011, and I'm disappointed. So far, it's the same as 2010. Where are the hover cars and holodecks? Where are the androids and world peace? We're running out of time, people. The world is supposed to end in 2012!

I don't rank my years, though 2009 and 2001 are burned into my mind as the worst years of my life. *shudder* Fortunately, 2010 doesn't make that list. Though there were many sad times and the tragedy of losing my step-brother, most of the sad times were related to the grief from 2009, which can't be helped and will continue to follow me into 2011. I made the decision in 2010 that I was going to accept my losses, deal with them the best I know how, and not let them ruin all the positive things around me. So far, that strategy is working...but it's difficult.

2010 was a year of recovery. I went back to school, I survived the lawsuit surrounding my dad's estate, and Steve and I celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary. It's still hard for me to feel positive feelings about my wedding since it was so close to my dad's death, but my wanting to celebrate it makes me feel that one day I will be ok with it. I also maintained my current friendships, and possibly rekindled some old ones. Barbie and I also made it to Disneyland after we promised ourselves in June 2009 that we would go fall of 2010.

2010 was a year of firsts. It was the first year of Steve's and my marriage, we bought our first house, we flew to Maryland to visit Steve's parents (my first time to the East Coast), my mom flew up to visit me for the first time in over 4 years, and it was also the first year I didn't fly down to Utah in 9 years.

Overall, 2010 was a good year, and I hope many of the positive feelings and lessons carry over in 2011 and beyond.

Steve and I had a good Christmas and New Year's. Christmas Eve we munched on snackie things and opened presents. Steve's parents passed down their wedding rings to us, which is a huge honor! Christmas Day, Steve and I went to Sabrina's parents' house for dinner. It was nice having somewhere to go. My mom flew in to see me Sunday morning. I worked Monday and Tuesday, then took the rest of the week off. We didn't do much. She had a cold, and she's lived up here before so she's already done the touristy things. That mixed with icy roads made wanting to go out a little difficult. We spent a lot of time just being the same room together and going out to eat. New Year's Eve, we drove my mom to the airport, watched TV and went to bed shortly after midnight. There were a lot of fireworks going on outside, but we managed to sleep through them. New Year's Day, we drove down to visit Sabrina and Tony and ate yummy food, watched Destination Truth, and talked. It was a good last week of the year, and I really don't want to go back to work tomorrow.

Steve's mom is recovering well from the surgery and has an appointment tomorrow to meet her doctor about her chemotherapy. She was diagnosed with Stage III ovarian cancer that hasn't spread to the lymphnodes. I suspect she will go through a fairly aggressive chemo course. Prognosis is good, but there's always a chance it will come back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she will make it through all this.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Later,
Carolyn

Random Quote:

I have a stuffed tiger named Buster on my bed that's seen much better days. When Steve and I went to Syrah's birthday party, we noticed she has a new version of my beat up tiger. Without thinking, Steve said, "Sabrina has a nice looking Buster."

1 comment:

AlannaTorres said...

I agree with the androids and holodecks, etc...get on the ball science people! ^_^ Happy New Year my friend!