Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cat Wars

Ok, so the title is misleading. There hasn't been a fight, but it's probably because they've only met each other twice through a crack in the door. I haven't been brave enough to let them meet face to face yet. Is it weird that I am just as stressed about this as the cats? Maybe more so?



This is an old picture of Tybo, but he doesn't look much different now. I was with Dad when he bought kitten Tybo from the Humane Society. He lived with my dad for the first 10 years of his life. Sadly, he was pretty much neglected. My dad left a mixing bowl of food and water out for him, but otherwise mostly ignored him. Tybo weighed 18lbs when my dad had his stroke and my mom adopted him. He was so overweight he had a hard time walking, and the vet believes his current limp is a permanent obesity injury/side effect. After a strict diet of low-cal, tasteless, carboard like food for a year, he got down to 10lbs (he's 11lbs now). Mom and Gary gave him a wonderful home for the past 3 years. He learned how to be a cat! He's become affectionate, he purrs, and he has the energy to play. He is having a hard time adjusting to his new life at my house, but he will warm up to it.

After Hawaii, I spent 3 1/2 days in Utah visiting with my mom. The idea was to go through all her stuff and for me to pick out what I wanted to keep to put in a storage unit to pick up later. Mom and Gary are going to Cebu, Philippines on a temple mission for 2 years. They don't know where they will be living when they get back (they're renting a townhouse now), so they want to get rid of everything they don't need so they don't have to pay storage on it. We weren't able to get to the current storage unit because of the cold weather, but we did go through some things around the house. I mailed home some priceless family heirlooms, which my mom wants me to keep in the family.

We also spent an evening window shopping in Park City. It's a nice town with lots to look at, and good skiing if you happen to enjoy skiing. I've never been. Everyone I know who's been skiing has broken something. I prefer my bones intact. But that didn't stop me from enjoying the atmosphere or the time with my mom.

Now that I'm back from my vacation, I am going to work on getting my life in a direction I want it to go. I'm going to spend more time writing, drawing, and working on my talents. I'm going to start my volunteer work, and I'm going to look into possibly getting another job or going to grad school. Steve and I are also discussing where we want to go on our honeymoon. Yes, a honeymoon. We've beem married for 3 1/2 years, but we didn't get the honeymoon we deserved. We really need the time together, time for us to be a couple without all the other grief stuff. Don't know where we're going yet, but I'll let you know what we decide. This week, I plan to get a certified copy of our marriage certificate, and sometime in the next few weeks, I hope to officially become a Harris. So much to look forward to this year! I'm excited!

Well, time for bed.
Good night!

Carolyn

Random Quote:

Steve: I heard Tybo making a weird noise this moring. It sounded like sandpaper on wood.

Me: Was he licking his butt?

----------------------------------------

Random Stories:

Steve accidentally ordered too many pencil holders at his work. Instead of returning them, he's been sneaking them onto people's desks when they're not at them.

------------

In Hawaii, my grandma told Mom and I over and over again about how much she hates technology and that she no longer belongs in this world because she's too stupid to master technology basics. Gandma was driving when we pulled over to see Akaka Falls. There was a charge for parking in the lot, so she dropped Mom and I off and went to park on the street. She didn't come back and join us. Mom and I found her in the car with the hood popped and the windshield wipers on.

"I couldn't get the key out of the ignition!" Grandma shouted. She opened the driver's door and flopped in her seat like a rag doll. "Oh, I hate this life! I hate technology!"

It was right out of a sitcom or a cartoon. I was in the backseat trying so hard not to laugh. I felt awful about it, but really, grandma. We all know the frustration with driving an unfamiliar car. Calm down!

No comments: