Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!!!

This is my 9th Christmas in Seattle, and it's still odd for me to have Christmas without snow. I don't envy the 2ft of snow in Maryland where Steve's parents are, or the 18 inches in Utah where my friends are (reportedly it took my friend 2 hrs to undig her car to go to work). But it's weird to look outside on Christmas Day and see green.

What I do like about Christmas day is that even without snow, there is still a quiet peace in the air. There are less cars on the road, no children outside playing, and the stores are all closed. In other words, everyone is inside yelling and celebrating with their families, as it should be. You have to admit, as annoying and loud as they can be, Christmas isn't the same without them, and I would know.

Steve and I had a great first Christmas...for the most part. If he didn't have a cold and spend half the past two nights blowing his nose and sneezing, it would have been perfect, but that's the risk of having a holiday during the middle of flu season.

Back to the point, I wanted Steve and I to start our own traditions this year. My family wasn't big on traditions after my parents divorced, and I miss that, and I think Steve misses some of his traditions as well. For Christmas Eve, we decided to have snackie things for dinner: Triscuits; cheese; veggies; apple cider; homemade fudge and cranberry bread; and to get rid of leftovers, buffalo wings. We watched The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, a non-holiday movie, but still a lot of fun. I love the old black and white movies. Afterwards, consistent with his family's traditions, we opened presents. His family was very generous. Lots of gift cards, sapphire earrings to match my wedding ring, and House: Season Five. Steve's sister even sent Harley some cat toys for Christmas. It's amazing to me that his family is so accepting of me when I haven't even met them, especially when my own family hasn't sent me anything for my wedding, birthday, or Christmas (Steve and I bet each year on whether my mom will call me on my birthday).

I was all set to make Steve chicken parmesan for his Christmas dinner, but he asked me to postpone it to a time when he could taste it. I suspect today will be a lazy day where he lies around trying to get well, and I try not to think about catching his cold. But, the day is still young. I haven't read the Christmas story from the bible yet this year, and I still have a binder of Christmas stories that I love to dig through. I bought Frosty the Snowman and A Christmas Story which will keep me occupied while I finish an art project. It was already fantastic to spend the morning warm in bed reading and letting my mind wander.

Merry Christmas!!! I hope Santa was good to you! Thank you all for your friendship, your love and support, and I wish you all the best in the new year!

Later,
Carolyn

1 comment:

Tony and Sabrina said...

Merry Christmas guys! I am glad to hear that your first Christmas as a married couple was good. Sorry that Steve is sick. I am still trying to get rid of my cough.

I am very happy to hear that Steve's family has welcomed you and made you feel a part of the family.

The house across the street is still for sale and there is another one in the next street down, so if you guys still want to, you can move MUCH closer to your Washington family :)