I can't believe it's almost Halloween. How the hell did that happen? At the same time, I keep thinking Halloween has already passed, so when I see Halloween decorations, I laugh and mutter something about, "Stupid, dateless, holiday fanatics" only to realize that I really mean myself.
It's our first Halloween in this house, so I have no idea how many trick-or-treaters to expect. I want to ask the neighbor next door, who I usually see outside mowing the lawn, but it's been cold and pouring down rain the past several days, and no one in their right mind would be outside doing yardwork. It's sad that I wish I could be doing yardwork. I see our back lawn turning into a mud puddle, the grass dying, and the moss growing, and I want to fix it. It will just have to wait until this blustery weather is over. I hope it's not like this for Halloween. All those poor, sopping wet kids in their monster and fairy princess costumes shivering on my doorstep would be...well, hysterical, actually. *tsk tsk* The things people will do for sugar.
Steve and I went to Portland over the weekend for our 1 year wedding anniversary. We ate dinner at P.F. Chang's, which is always yummy. Then we saw the play An Iliad, which was incredible. It was 1 actor on stage performing the story for 1hr 45 min straight through. How much talent does that take to keep an audience entertained that long all by yourself? Wow! The best part is that Steve loved it. He went in with no expectations, and walked out with a big smile. That's great, because I love the theater. Steve only goes because I like it, and I need him to know there are plays out there he can like so he'll take me to them.
Next, we spent 4hrs at Powell's Books. My mom laughed that Steve and I chose to spend our anniversary at a bookstore, but it's fitting, since we met at a bookstore, and went to Powell's on our first trip together 6mos later. I didn't remember the place being that big. We would have stayed longer if the parking meter hadn't expired and we didn't have a 3hr drive home.
We didn't so anything Sunday, which was our actual anniversary, except clean and take some pictures of the house to email to family. I debated posting them on my blog, but I felt it best not to show all the possible desperate thieves all the mediocre stuff they could steal. Let me know if you want me to email you some pics. As a bonus, they include my cat, who followed me around and decided to play model. I think her face or tail can be seen in about every picture.
I'm getting a cold, which makes this the 3rd or 4th cold this year. I'm averaging a booger fest fest every 3mos. It sucks not having an immune system. It also doesn't help when your husband works at the parking office of a major university and is exposed to every germ the staff and students bring in when they complain about citations, fees, and the general unfairness of life and no parking zones. *sigh*
I got a new phone a few weeks ago, which I'm still learning how to use. The sad thing is, I hardly ever get calls, so for the first week I had my phone, I stared at it, willing it to ring. Finally, it did, and it was Steve's mom. I accidentally hung up on her trying to answer it, but that's ok, because she was only calling to see how the new phone was working out. Yeah...
So...it's off to bed with me. Steve gets the colds first, then passes them to me, so I've spent two sleepless nights listening to him blow his nose and hack up loogies. My turn to keep him awake is coming up, but either way, it means both of us will be tired and cranky this week. I've got some fun things planned. First, happy hour with my coworkers on Thursday and then scary movie night on Saturday. I planned to have scary movie night at my place, but none of my friends could come. It's not a complete loss. One of the colleagues I invited (Adrienne) decided to host it at her place and make me and the other colleague I invited (Amy) dinner instead. Can't turn down a free, homemade dinner.
Later,
Carolyn
Random Quotes:
John came into the intake office to pick up a referral. I asked him if he saw the last referral he picked up. He answered: "Yeah, I saw her. She tried to refuse, but I managed to talk her out of 69ing me." Realizing his mistake: "I mean 86ing me!" Poor guy. He was so embarassed.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Coworker Jan, frustrated: "Why do all these mentally ill people keep calling us and asking us to see them?"
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Steve is downstairs playing the play station and wearing 3 shirts, long johns, flannel pajama bottoms, and a knit hat.
Me: "Do you want me to turn the heat on?"
Steve: "No. Not until I'm really uncomfortable."
No comments:
Post a Comment