Sunday, November 14, 2010

Disneyland

Steve and I had a fantastic time in Disneyland. I had a smile on my face the entire time...until it was time to go home, then I frowned and pouted. Barbie and I decided we would go every 5yrs, so everyone, mark your calendars for Disneyland 2015. None of you have excuse not to go because you have a 5yr warning!

Steve and I arrived at our hotel at 4pm on Thursday. It was sunny and 95 degrees outside. We were tired, hungry, and weary from traveling. Barbie and Dylan drove there from Utah, and arrived about 2hrs before us. I wanted to take a nap, but reluctantly agreed to go over to the park and eat at a gumbo place Barbie said was good. As soon as we walked through the front gates, it was like entering a whole new world (shining, shimmering, splendid!) The place was exactly was I remembered it, and I had tears in my eyes, I was so happy to the be there (grief has turned me into a mush ball, sorry).

We headed to New Orleans Square and Barbie noticed that the line for Pirates of the Caribbean was 5mins. Wow! Forget food! We ran through the turnstiles and walked right on! No wait at all! It was the perfect way to start a trip. The ride was the visual experience I'd remembered from 10yrs ago. They added Jack Sparrow to a few scenes, but otherwise nothing was changed. It will always be my favorite ride (then tied for second: Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, and Peter Pan).

This was Steve's first trip to Disneyland, and he only went because I wanted to go. I thought I would have to force him out of the hotel room each morning. After 1 ride on Pirates of the Caribbean, he was glad he came and eagerly accompanied me on all the other rides...which also had short to non-existent lines. We chose a good time of year to go.

We stayed for the fireworks show, which was incredible! The show matched music and scripts from the movies and rides to the fireworks. Steve and I agreed it was the best fireworks show we'd ever seen, and made sure to see it again the next night.

My grandma was excited to come to Disneyland with us, and two days before the trip, her car gave out and she said she couldn't make it. I was disappointed not to see her, but told her there would be other times for us to meet up. I was standing in line for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride when my grandma called. She was on her way! Her truck was working well enough she was willing to brave the trip! It took her 8hrs to drive to Anaheim, and it was to spend 2hrs with us before she had to drive home. Wow! It was great to see her, and I was flattered that she would spend all that time driving to spend so little time with us. Thank you, grandma!

So, all in all the trip went well. Even Steve is talking about what he wants to do next time we go. We'll find a better hotel. The one we stayed at was walking distance of the park and next to an IHOP and Cold Stone, but had some plumbing problems and other minor issues. Small World and Star Tours were closed. Don't care about Small World, but I wanted to show Steve Star Tours. The Haunted Mansion was also decorated for Nightmare Before Christmas. I'm glad I had a chance to see it, but I miss the original Haunted Mansion and wanted Steve to see it. And most importantly, I hope that more of my friends and family are able to make it. It's always good to see my friends, and to see Barbie who lives so far away.






No comments: